Does Your Voicemail Sound Professional?
You have reached The Voice Realm! We are currently unavailable, please leave a message after the beep…
Kidding! Please, read on!
Your business may just be starting or on its way to expansion. Whatever the level of growth your company, there is no reason why you can’t sound like you are worth a million bucks, or like you are one of the top companies in your industry. The best way to start sounding like you are way far from being a startup is through your voice messaging system. These recordings may be short but it can be a way for you, and your clients to have a connection.
Before the emergence of social media, the telephone system is one,and still the biggest marketing tool for any company. It is the most preferred means to communicate by customers as it provides them easy and direct access to the company and the information they would need. A voice messaging system and recording should be an investment to ensure that all incoming calls are managed. It can give the company a more professional image; it can encourage callers to stay on the line thus, reducing the number of dropped calls, and also deliver a quality and professional marketing message.
What’s in a good voicemail greeting?
A good voicemail greeting should be friendly and informative. Greet the customer with a smile (though they cannot see this, they will definitely feel it in the tone of your voice) and thank them for the call. Provide enough information to let the caller know that they have reached the correct number. State your name, the company or department name.
Secondly, providing a general message that states you are unavailable to take the call, and why you are unavailable is very advisable. However, you can also give specific information like if the customer has called outside office hours, or the person they are calling is in a meeting, or out of office (for busy or “out of office” messages). This gives the customer a more realistic expectation on when they can call back or when they can expect a call back. An apology for missing the call will also make the callers feel that their call is important.
Next, the caller’s information is very much important. Ask the caller to leave their reason for calling, their names, contacts or other information that you would need to get back to them. Knowing these information can prepare you before calling them back.
The next one is very much important. It is important not to make your customers wait for a long time, let them know when you can get back to them. Make sure that it is a realistic timeframe. Nothing is more frustrating for a client than being promised a callback and not getting it.
Giving an alternative number, email, website or resource person whom they can reach in case their concern requires immediate attention, would be great too! It will also give them an idea that you have a lot of reliable staff that they can reach when doing business with you.
A good voicemail should only be around 20 to 25 seconds long. While you want to include all essential information, you do not want the customer to be impatient. Do not include promotions or special offers in your greeting; you can leave that for your on-hold messages.
Your recorded message should always be updated too. Stay true to the image or personality you wish to reflect. You do not wish your clients to go to an non-existing website, phone number or look for a person who no longer works for your company. Remember, you have to be updated, always.
Sample Voicemail Greetings
General Voicemail Greeting
The general voicemail greeting is the default voicemail message or greeting. This can be played for both internal and external customers.
- You have reached Patricia Lopez of The Voice Realm. Sorry she is unable to take your call at this moment. She will return your call as soon as possible. If you need immediate assistance, please call Roxie Hart, at extension 1234. Leave your name, number, and the reason why you called after the tone. Thank you for calling The Voice Realm. Have a great day!
- Thank you for calling The Voice Realm. You have reached the office of Regina Phalange, Voice Talent Agent. I am either engaged with another client or away from my desk. Please leave a detailed message after the tone and I will return your call when I am available. If this is an emergency, please call +44.203.608.8727. Thank you.
- You have reached The Voice Realm, your easy online voice casting site. We are unable to take your call right now, but if you leave a message and include your name and telephone number, we will get back to you as soon as we can. You can also contact us via email at email@example.com. Thank you for calling.
- You have reached The Voice Realm. We cannot answer the call right now but we will return your call as soon as we can. If this is regarding a recent project, please call our Customer Service +44.203.608.8727. Or, you can visit our website at www.thevoicerealm.co.uk for our 24 hours chat support. Otherwise, please leave a message after the beep. Thank you.
Internal Voicemail Greeting
Internal Voicemail Greeting is used to greet callers within the company. It does not require stating the company name or website.
- You have reached Muriel Bing. I am unable to take your call at the moment, but I will return your call as soon as possible. So please leave me a message after the beep.
- You have reached Ken Addams.He is currently unavailable right now, but please don’t hesitate to leave a message after the tone. He will return your call as soon as possible. If you need immediate assistance, please contact, Karen Green, at extension 1234. Have a good day.
External Voicemail Greeting
External Voicemail Greeting will be played for the customers or clients callers.
- You have reached The Voice Realm, the world’s best voice talent provider. Sorry, all our agents are engaged at the moment. Your call is very important to us, so please leave us a message after the tone and we will return your call as soon as we can. Alternatively, you can contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for calling.
- Thank you for calling The Voice Realm, your easy online voice casting site. Our Voice Talent Agents are currently engaged with another client; please stay on the line for the next available agent. Or you can visit our website at www.thevoicerealm.co.uk for our 24 hours chat support. Thank you.
Temporary or “Out of Office” Voicemail Greeting
Temporary or “Out of Office” Voicemail Greeting is set when you will be out of the office for a predetermined amount of time, or may be played during temporary closure or out of office hour calls.
- You have reached Eustace Keller at The Voice Realm. I will be out of the office until the 2nd of January. Please leave your name and message and I will return your call. Thank you for calling.
- Thank you for calling The Voice Realm, your easy online voice casting site. We are currently unavailable till the 3rd of November. If you leave us a message after the tone, and include your name and telephone number, we will return your call when we get back. Alternatively, you may email us at email@example.com. Thank you for calling.
- You have reached The Voice Realm, the world’s best voice talent provider. Our Customer Service line is open from Monday thru Friday from 8am until 5pm Eastern Time. You may visit our website at www.thevoicerealm.co.uk for our 24 hours chat support or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for calling.
There is absolutely no problem with recording your own voicemail, or have one of your staff do it, however, the desired outcome may not be as effective compared to hiring a professional voiceover talent. Here are three reasons why hiring a professional voiceover artist would be most beneficial to the business:
1) Voice actors are trained professionals. Language skills, aside from impressive voice quality is important to become a voice actor. Voice actors are not simply exposed in voice acting, but these actors have a good knowledge of grammar, and correct pronunciation and enunciation. A flawless recording would require someone who had a lot of training and practice, therefore, it would sound very much professional. This is an image that companies would want to portray with their voicemail system. A professional voice means a professional customer service.
2) They possess technical skills. A voicemail message should be of high quality sound recording. That is why hiring a professional to do it is the best option for you. Of course, aside from a beautifully recorded voicemail, you do not have to worry about the technicalities. A professional recording should sound clear and free from background noise. This can be achieved if recorded in a professional sound studio using high quality equipment. An experienced or professional voice talent would either own a home recording studio or have access to one.
3) Professional voice actors have the same goal as you. Voice over talents do not simply read off from a script. They record with passion. They study what needs to be conveyed so that they can deliver your message correctly. If the goal is to sound accommodating and friendly, they will portray that image to the customer. If the goal is to sell, they can be directed to sound more persuasive. They know your end goal and they know how to deliver the results. They have the same goal as you do: record a perfect voicemail that would help you boost your brand.
Hiring a professional voiceover do not have to be expensive. There are voiceover platforms available that can provide reasonable rates but rest assured that they will only provide the best service. One such company is The Voice Realm. The Voice Realm is composed of very talented and professional voice actors that can provide clients with professionally recorded voice in a format that fits the company’s requirements.
Remember, your voicemail greeting is a reflection of your company’s image. These few lines can leave a lasting impression to your customers. Hire a professional once to record your voicemail will not hurt your budget much. Think of it as an investment that would help you build a professional image for your clients.
Visit The Voice Realm to for free voice casting or to search and hire professional voice talents directly.