How to Record a Professional Voicemail
Do you want to your business to sound like a million bucks?
You may be starting a new business or on your way to growing and expanding, but no matter what level you are with your business, there is no reason why you can’t sound like one of the top companies in your industry. The best way to start is through your voice messaging system.
Despite the emergence of social media, the telephone system is still one of the biggest marketing tools for any company. It is still the quickest and most preferred means to communicate by customers as it provides them easy and direct access to the company and the information they would need. To ensure that all incoming calls are managed, any organisation should invest on a voice messaging system and recording that can give the company a more professional image, can encourage callers to stay on the line (thus reducing the number of dropped calls), and also deliver a quality and professional marketing message.
Elements of a Good Voicemail Greeting
The initial greeting should be friendly and informative. Greet the customer with a smile and thank them for the call. Provide enough information to let the caller know that they have reached the correct number. State your name, the company or department name.
Statement that you cannot take the call
You can provide a general message that states you are unavailable to take the call. However, you can also give specific information like if the customer has called outside office hours, or the person they are calling is in a meeting, or out of office (for busy or “out of office” messages). This gives the customer a more realistic expectation on when they can call back or when the person they are calling will get back to them. It is also good to include an apology for missing the call as it will sound that each caller is important.
Invitation to leave a message
Ask the caller to leave their name, contacts or other information that you would need to get back to them. Also asking the customer to give the reason for their call will help you prepare when you call them back.
Let them know when you can get back to them. Make sure that it is a realistic timeframe, one that you can keep. There is nothing more frustrating for a client than being promised a callback and not getting it.
Give an alternative
Provide an alternative number, email, website or resource person whom they can reach in case their concern requires immediate attention.
Keep it short
Rule of thumb is to make the message about 20 to 25 seconds long. While you want to include all pertinent information, you do not want the customer to be impatient. Do not include promotions or special offers in your greeting; you can leave that for your on-hold messages.
Keep it simple but keep it updated
Stay true to the image or personality you wish to reflect. And make sure then that you keep your message frequently updated. You do not wish your clients to go to an non-existing website, phone number or look for a person who no longer works for your company.
Sample Voicemail Greetings
General Voicemail Greeting
General Voicemail Greeting is the default voicemail message or greeting. This can be played for both internal (calling from the company extensions) and external customers.
- You have reached Emma Jamieson at The Voice Realm. Sorry she is unable to take your call at this moment but please to leave your name and message after the tone. She will return your call as soon as possible. If you need immediate assistance, please call Tina Saunders, at extension 1234. Thank you for calling The Voice Realm. Have a great day!
- Thank you for calling The Voice Realm. You have reached the office of Emma Jamieson, Voice Talent Agent. I am either engaged with another client or away from my desk. Please leave a detailed message after the tone and I will return your call when I am available. If this is an emergency, please call +44.203.608.8727. Thank you.
- You have reached The Voice Realm, your easy online voice casting site. We are unable to take your call right now, but if you leave a message and include your name and telephone number, we will get back to you as soon as we can. You can also contact us via email at email@example.com. Thank you for calling.
- You have reached The Voice Realm. We cannot answer the call right now but we will return your call as soon as we can. If this is regarding a recent project, please call our Customer Service +44.203.608.8727. Or, you can visit our website at www.thevoicerealm.co.uk for our 24 hours chat support. Otherwise, please leave a message after the beep. Thank you.
Internal Voicemail Greeting
Internal Voicemail Greeting is used to greet callers from within the company. It does not require stating the company name or website.
- You have reached Emma Jamieson. I am unable take your call right now, but I will return your call as soon as possible. So please leave me a message after the beep.
- You have reached Emma Jamieson. She is currently unavailable right now, but please don’t hesitate to leave a message after the tone. She will return your call as soon as possible. If you need immediate assistance, please contact, Tina Saunders, at extension 1234. Have a good day.
External Voicemail Greeting
External Voicemail Greeting will be played for the customers or clients callers.
- You have reached The Voice Realm, the world’s best voice talent provider. Sorry, all our agents are engaged at the moment. Your call is very important to us, so please leave us message after the tone and we will return your call as soon as we can. Alternatively, you can contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for calling.
- Thank you for calling The Voice Realm, your easy online voice casting site. Our Voice Talent Agents are currently engaged with another client; please stay on the line for the next available agent. Or you can visit our website at www.thevoicerealm.co.uk for our 24 hours chat support. Thank you.
Temporary or “Out of Office” Voicemail Greeting
Temporary or “Out of Office” Voicemail Greeting is set when you will be out of the office for a predetermined amount of time, or may be played during temporary closure or out of office hour calls.
- You have reached Emma Jamieson at The Voice Realm. I will be out of the office until Friday, 31st of October. Please leave your name and message and I will return your call then. Thank you for calling.
- Thank you for calling The Voice Realm, your easy online voice casting site. We are currently unavailable till the 3rd of November. If you leave us a message after the tone, and include your name and telephone number, we will return your call when we get back. Alternatively, you may email us at email@example.com. Thank you for calling.
- You have reached The Voice Realm, the world’s best voice talent provider. Our Customer Service line is open from Monday thru Friday from 8am until 5pm Eastern Time. You may visit our website at www.thevoicerealm.co.uk for our 24 hours chat support or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for calling.
Companies may choose to utilise their own team members to record their voicemail messages, however the desired outcome may not be as effective compared to hiring a professional voiceover talent. Here are some three key reasons why hiring a professional voiceover artist would be most beneficial to the business:
1) They are trained professionals. Apart from having an impressive voice, a professional voice talent excels in language skills. They are not just trained in voice acting, but also have a good knowledge of grammar, and correct pronunciation and enunciation. A flawless recording would require someone who had a lot of training and practice. An inexperienced and tentative sounding voice on a messaging system reeks “amateur.” This is an image any company would NOT want to portray with their voicemail system. An amateur voice means an amateur customer service.
2) They have the technical skills. A voicemail message or greeting should be of high quality sound recording. A professional recording should sound clear and free from background noise. This can be achieved if recorded in a professional sound studio using high quality equipment. An experienced or professional voice talent would either own a home recording studio or have access to one.
3) They understand your goal. A professional voiceover talent will not just read off from a script. They study what needs to be conveyed so that they can deliver your message correctly. If the goal is to sound accommodating and friendly, they will portray that image to the customer. If the goal is to sell, they can be directed to sound more persuasive. Hiring a successful voiceover not only means that the company is getting a voice image but also getting someone with a wealth of experience, who has worked or dealt with other successful businesses. They know your end goal and they know how to deliver the results.
Hiring a professional voiceover need not be expensive. There are voiceover platforms available to voiceseekers that can provide reasonable rates and can assure that they only get experienced professionals. One such company is The Voice Realm. The Voice Realm has a “professional only” talent pool that can provide clients with professionally recorded voice in a format that fits the company’s requirements.
|ON HOLD / PHONE MESSAGES / VOICEMAIL / IVR||RATE*|
|100 words or less||$80|
|320 words or less||$150|
|800 words or less||$250|
|1600 words or less||$550|
|2500 words or less||$650|
Remember your voicemail greeting is a reflection of your company’s image. These few lines can leave a lasting impression to your customers. Present a professional voicemail message and it projects a professional and successful business.
Visit The Voice Realm to for free voice casting or to search and hire professional voice talents directly.